OrangeZen

Random thoughts...from a random redhead.

Monday, February 02, 2004


Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!

Yesterday was my birthday....I am now 29. This is the last year I will be able to say "I'm in my twenties". Next year, I have to enter my "thirties". I'm not happy about this although I don't think it'll make that much difference to me personally, I think people in general think 30 is old...I guess I am a little depressed about that. I don't get it. I always thought that I wouldn't be one of those people who gets depressed about getting older. I guess it helps that I still get carded....
I had a good weekend...went skiing. I am glad to say that I did not fall. That's not entirely true though... I fell when my daughter fell in front of me. I fell when I stopped to write my name in some untouched snow. I love to ski through it or touch it in some way whenever I see it. Unfortunately it's hard to stand up in... I fell when my daughter and I were getting on the lift. She had her skis crossed and was off balance. She was grabbing onto me, which made me fall and she fell on top of me. The chair, however, kept moving right up over the top of us. It actually came off of the cable and fell on us. We were not hurt, just a little shaken and, well, embarassed. So for the rest of the time we had the lovely designation as the people that broke the chair. They had to stop the lift for about 10 minutes while someone came to inspect it to see if it was still safe to put people on. Apparently they are 'supposed to do that'. Ok so what's to stop it from happening when we are about 50 feet off the ground?? I tried not to think of that of course. All in all it was a good trip. I got birthday cupcakes, but no song...well I did get one song, voice mail is a great thing.
I think that I am finally over my cold. The bad thing is, I am now addicted to cough drops. At least they are sugar free.
One interesting thing occurred to me as I was looking at the stats. People have found my site by doing a search for 'phillipino dessert recipes' (only 'dessert' is spelled 'desert' which has nothing to do with a sweet thing you eat after a meal) and 'easy phillipino cookies'. I can't think of a time I have posted about a phillipino dessert, or desert, but I thought maybe I should post one since people are looking for one and my site comes up in the search results (shrug).
So here goes: (taken from this site)

Leche Flan
Custard:

12 egg yolks
1 can condensed milk
1 pint Vit D milk
I thought it was interesting that this calls specifically for Vit D milk...what if you only have non-VitD milk?
1 tablespoon vanilla (lemon essence or peppermit can be substituted)

Blend all ingredients in a blender. Pour mixture into a loaf tin lined with caramelized sugar (see below). Cover with aluminum foil. Place tin in a larger baking pan half-filled with water. Place pan in pre-heated oven (375 F) and bake flan for about 1 hour or until it is firm.

Caramel:

1 cup sugar
1 cup water

Put sugar and water in a saucepan. Caramelize in high heat. Line loaf tin with caramelized sugar. Be sure to line the sides of the pan.


I like flan. I made it once as a project for 9th grade Spanish class. It's not that hard to do. Kinda yummy.

Maja Blanca

1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 cups coconut milk
3 cups grated coconut

Mix cornstarch and sugar in a bowl. Add water and stir. In a saucepan, bring coconut milk to a boil and gradually stir in cornstarch mixture. Boil for 5 minutes, until the starch is cooked. Pour into a buttered cake pan and let cool. Spread coconut on a baking sheet and toast at 350 F until brown. Sprinkle cake with toasted grated coconut and serve


I've never had anything like this before, but it reminded me of maybe a Mounds candy bar without the chocolate on the outside. I'm probaby way off on that though...

So there you go, you people looking for Phillipino desserts. I hope I have enhanced your Internet experience.

 
Promote your blog for free.