OrangeZen

Random thoughts...from a random redhead.

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Day 2 of 12...

Today is the second day of the twelve days of Christmas...



I was singing in the shower this morning. I didn't think it was that loud until I heard "Mommy, why are you singing in the shower?".
I guess the acoustics in my shower are better than I thought.
I was singing, in my just-woke-up-frog-in-throat voice, a Christmas song that I once had to sing as a trio in high school. For Christmas our group dressed up in Dicken's era garb and put on a Christmas dinner-theatre type performance where we spoke with fake English accents and were served by the lowly underclassmen. The song was called "My Babe Must Rest" and featured three part harmonies as well as 3 solo parts. It was my solo part that I was remembering...with disgust. I am a good singer. Not great or anything, but I can carry a tune and my voice isn't horrible...unless I'm nervous. Then I turn into Simon's worst nightmare and couldn't carry a tune in a bucket with a lid.
My voice is 2nd alto and my part had one note that was just out of my normal vocal range, forcing me to sing falsetto for one note, which wasn't a big deal until I was standing in front of a hundred or so people and there were NO other sounds in the room. To make matters worse, I had had a cold and was just getting over the horrible cough that went along with it.
So there I am singing along waiting for my part (the 2nd verse) to come and my knees are literally knocking back and forth. When it was finally my turn, I sang the whole thing beautifully...until that one note..."following the star TOOOO Jeee-sus...it was good but now my babe must rest..." (hey I didn't say it was a brilliant song...)and my voice cracked on the "TOOOO" part. I knew everyone had heard it. I felt the hot creeping into my face and I began to feel lightheaded but somehow managed to sing the rest of the song. I then promptly found the nearest exit, went outside (in my huge Victorian gown) and vomited all over the grass. I had never been so embarassed or nervous in my life. I went back in and everyone told me I was pale as a ghost, but my solo sounded great. Great?? Are they kidding?
About a week later I heard that one of the other girls in the group had been gossiping about how awful my part was. At that point I was so glad that it was over that I didn't really care. (So Katrina Acosta, if you are reading this, I know that you were gossiping about me!)
Anyway, as I was singing the song in the shower today, I sang that part over and over, just to assure myself that I actually could sing, it was just the nerves that did me in.

 
Promote your blog for free.