OrangeZen

Random thoughts...from a random redhead.

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Sick Day Excitement

Yesterday I was sick. I am borderline losing my voice, even today, and just generally not feeling well. This turned out to be not such a bad thing because I was able to rest a bit and then get some packing done for my trip.
While I was resting I started to get a little chilly so I decided that it would be nice to rest on the comfy couch with a fire in the fireplace. I have those fake-out cheating quick-lite firelogs so it's not an ordeal for me to light a fire. We recently had a new damper installed so I made sure it was 'open'...I heard it thunk...so I thought 'mmmm must be open' and proceeded to light the fire. Jeff had called me from Hawaii and I was walking around the house talking to him and doing this and that while the fire got going. When I hung up the phone I started to put together the stuff to make another cake and I heard the loudest screaming beeping noise coming from my alarm...yes the fire alarm. We have monitored security and fire prevention on the house so when the alarm goes off it immediately calls the monitoring people and they call me to find out if it's a false alarm or not. So as I was frantically opening the damper, doors, and windows, and turing the fan on high, I got the call. I was expecting to just tell the person it was my stupidity that set the alarm off but there was no one on the other end. No matter, I thought, I'll just call them and tell them everything is A-ok.
After hanging up with them, Jeff called back to laugh at me for setting off the fire alarm. That's when a huge yellow truck with a ladder attached to the top drove up and a guy hopped out and started setting it up. I ran out and told them the deal and they sort of smirked and rolled their eyes...yes ANOTHER stupid person who doesn't know how to open the damper properly...that's me.
Here's a link to the picture...

 
Promote your blog for free.