OrangeZen

Random thoughts...from a random redhead.

Monday, March 22, 2004


Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!

I really need to start blogging on weekends...
Margaret Cho is funny. She has a blog too.

Let's see, where do I begin...
On Saturday I went and did some shopping. While my daughter and I were at the mall, we happened upon a kiosk that was selling hermit crabs of all things. I have heard of people keeping hermit crabs as pets, (OddTodd for example...) but I hadn't really considered it until I saw this particular display. There was this huge glass..um...dunno what you call it...kind of like a terrarium but it was shallow and a lot bigger with wood and shells and rocks and tons of little hermit crabs crawling around inside. Some were as big as my hand and others were about the size of my finger tip. My daughter and I stopped and gawked at them for about 10 minutes and then went on to finish my shopping. I got what I needed and on the way back I kind of made the snap decision that we were going to get a couple of them. Apparently the name "hermit" crab is kind of a misnomer and they really live in huge colonies in the wild so it's better to get more than one. We each picked one of the small crabs and got a little 1 gallon plastic container to keep them in. I also got a little coconut shell house for them to live in. It says "cocohut" on the outside hehe So the one I picked one that was kind of purple-ish with flowers in it's shell (all of the shells were painted) and my daughter picked one that was orange with black tiger stripes on it. We brought them home and set them up with some lettuce to eat and a little water in the scallop shell that came with their little cage. They seemed kinda scared just hiding out in their shells for a while. They would come out if we held them but I think they weren't quite used to their new cage yet. We set them on some plastic drawers that my daughter has in her room for the night. Everything seemed ok.
When we woke up the next morning E came running into my room telling me that the hermit crab tank had fallen off of the plastic drawer! (damn cats...) I went in and there was the tank on it's side with all of the sand in one corner of the tank with the little coconut hut on top. I grabbed it and tipped it up looking for the crabs...found one...moved more sand..found the other. Both of them were kind of impacted with sand so I ran and got a bowl of water to rinse them off. As soon as I got them into the water they came right out...they looked a little freaked out, but other than that they seemed ok. They were both still alive despite being buried alive the night before... I fixed their house and the sand and put them back in and they seemed to be ok. They kind of looked at me like "WTF happened there?" I think they were a little suspiscious of us. I hope they don't think we intentionally tried to bury them alive.

OK...I'm talking about the crabs as if they had brains...time for a break...

 
Promote your blog for free.