OrangeZen

Random thoughts...from a random redhead.

Thursday, August 19, 2004

Bee sting

I just got a call from the day camp my daughter is attending. My daughter has been stung by a yellow jacket on her finger and I could hear her wailing in pain in the background.
girl:"Hi, um, is this E's mom?"
me:"Yeah hi"
girl:"Yeah, um, like, she was just stung by a bee on her finger. Is she allergic?"
me:"No she's not allergic that I know of..."
girl:"ok good so she's ok then. do you want to talk to her?"
me:"ok"

E:(uncontrollable sobbing)
me:"What happened?? How did the bee sting you?"
E:"I...(sob)...saw...(sob)...a dead bee...(sob)...and I picked it up...(sob)...and it stung me...(more sobbing)"
me:"Well you know you shouldn't touch them honey. I'm sorry you got stung..."
E:(sob)"Mommy...(sob)...it...(sob)...hurrrrrts...(louder sobbing)"
me: "I know it hurts sweetie. Get some ice and that will make it feel better"
E:(sob)"I...(sob)...don't...(sob)...have...(sob)...ice...(sob)...OWWWWW (louder crying)"
me:"Ok, let me talk to the girl again"

girl:"hi"
me:"hi, she needs some ice or something cold to put on her sting"
girl:"well we're going to the Y in a little while, I'm sure they'll have something"
me:"don't you have anything there?"
girl:"no not that I know of. we'll go in a couple of minutes I just wanted to be sure she wasn't allergic..."
me:"you know, bee stings really hurt a lot and she's never been stung before. will you please see if you can get something now to help her out?"
girl:"ok, i'll see what I can find"
me:"ok, thank you, call me back"

I say "girl" because the people they have in charge of the kids at the day camp are a bunch of teenagers (kids themselves really). I know I'm doing the whole over-reactive mother thing, but dammit my baby is in pain, I can't do anything about it, and the people who are supposed to be looking after her don't seem to give a flying shit. She's never been stung before. How do I know she won't have a reaction? It's been a half hour now and no one has called to tell me if she's ok or anything.

5 more minutes and mama bear is not going to be happy...

 
Promote your blog for free.