OrangeZen

Random thoughts...from a random redhead.

Friday, April 30, 2004

Sometimes it sucks to work in a hospital.

I hear overhead pages when someone stops breathing. I see patients have heart attacks in the middle of the lobby. I take calls where I can hear people moaning, babies crying, nurses trying to resuscitate patients.....
Today I had to listen to a scared little girl screaming for her mommy after coming out of anesthesia. The call was about 10 minutes long and I wanted to cry. Having a daughter myself, it hurts a lot to think about being in a situation like that where she was screaming for me and I couldn't help her...or worse yet, didn't even know she needed me. The person I was talking to didn't seem too concerned about it. I said "Wow it sounds like someone's having a bad day..." The only reply was "Yeah she's coming out of anesthesia..."
I don't blame her for screaming. I've never had surgery and I know that I would be pretty scared if I ever had to. I can just imagine what a small child would be feeling.
Empathy is a learned thing I guess...

 
Promote your blog for free.