OrangeZen

Random thoughts...from a random redhead.

Wednesday, December 17, 2003


Reading blogs at work? Click to escape to a suitable site!

Oh yeah...forgot to mention the other tasty thing I did last night...
I cleaned a fish.
It was utterly disgusting.
I also discovered that the knives I thought were sharp aren't.
Following the tutorial on a website, I sliced it open from the 'vent' (a nice name for it's bunghole) all the way through it's belly to where the gills were. Of course Elyse was right there for the play by play (let me touch the guts, let me touch the eye, you should disect the eye, can i put my finger in his mouth?). I swear that child has some sort of sick fasination with all things that are disgusting (or bloody).
I can't remember exactly what kind of fish it was...I think tilapia? It had these spiny fins on either side of it that kept poking me.
So after I had removed all of his guts and scraped out the stuff I thought I was supposed to, I attempted to filet it. Not a pretty picture. I ended up leaving the backbone in because I couldn't figure out how to get it out without cutting my hand off. In the end I did cook the fish and it tasted ok, I just wish I could have had a better place to do all of the cleaning besides the kitchen floor. This also served to make me very nervous about preparing the salmon on Saturday. If I have this much trouble with a little 2 lb. fish, what will happen when I try to work with 7 lb. salmon? I am going to ask the fish guy to gut it for me and scale it so I'm hoping that will help some.
Where is Jamie Oliver when i need him?? hehe

 
Promote your blog for free.