OrangeZen

Random thoughts...from a random redhead.

Saturday, December 31, 2005

New Year? But I was just getting used to this year...

I cannot believe this year has passed already. Don't we say that every year?
I was watching TV yesterday and they had one of those "year in review" type montages on there. Brad and Jennifer breaking up seems like it happened 2 years ago, doesn't it? Cause you know that was THE NUMBER ONE thing to be worried about this year... My hair has grown about 4 inches, as has my waist unfortunately. Soon to be remedied though! Monday is the big day when I start back to the gym...again.
I've lived in Virginia for almost 8 months now and it still doesn't feel "right" to say that I live here. I still use the wrong zip code when I address envelopes and the wrong area code when I use my phone number. This is less a place that we live than a place we're staying at for a couple of years until my husband is out of the Navy. Then we can go find a "real" house.
I finished a book I got for Christmas in less than a day. Either I am a fast reader or the book was so hopelessly elementary that it was that easy to read. I haven't finished a book since high school I'm sure. I always try to get into reading but I can never stay interested long enough. I think I have ADD. The book I read was Dark Lord:The Rise of Darth Vader. Nope no great literary classics for me, I'm all about the Star Wars geekiness. It is the first Star Wars Expanded Universe book that I've read and it spurred my interest to read more (since there won't be any more films). Reading it felt like watching one of the movies. There was a lot of action and there were parts that let you get inside of Vader's head and find out what he thought of the suit that kept him alive, the Emperor, and his self-pity and anger that ultimately makes him stronger in the Dark Side of the Force.
My geek alarm is blaring so I must digress...
I wasn't directly affected by any of the hurricanes or other things that happened this year, but I think I must have given about $100 to the Red Cross and other charities raising money for the victims. $100 doesn't sound like much, but given that I usually give $0 to such charities, I think it's quite a bit. I also sent a care package to anysoldier.com. I think it's a good way to support the people risking their lives in Iraq even if you don't agree with the reason they are there.
On a more personal note, this year has been a little disappointing in that we have been trying to have a baby and, well, we're still trying. I'm reading books, charting temperatures, taking tests, and trying to assess places that really only my OBGYN should be assessing. I don't even really like to think about how long it's been because 1)I am impatient, 2)I don't like to think about the fact that it's been this long (9 months) and it hasn't happened (so maybe it's not going to) and 3)I know for a fact that there are people who've been trying for three or four times as long as we've been trying and it makes me feel insignificant. I go in for a pelvic ultrasound on January 15th so they can look at my ovaries. Hopefully there will be some kind of "aHA! there's the problem! here's how we fix it!" type of thing as a result.
Whew
Anyway, I think we will be taking it easy tonight. Staying off the roads is probably a good thing to do with all of the sobriety checkpoints that will be open around here. I say dinner, maybe a movie, watch the ball drop, get some nookie, go to bed...not necessarily in that order.
Simple enough.
Good luck and good health in the new year everyone!

 
Promote your blog for free.