OrangeZen

Random thoughts...from a random redhead.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Wax off

A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine and I decided that we wanted to give our husbands a surprise when they came back from their deployment. We decided to get sugared! Sugaring is like waxing, only better. It is more sanitary, less painful, less damaging to the skin, and less expensive. We visited a place called The Sweet Spot in the Freemont area of Seattle.
Once inside, we chatted for a few to get to know the woman who would be seeing what we got and then it was time. I was "elected" to go first so she told me to strip down to whatever I felt comfortable in and lay on the table. I'm not a modest person so I left only my socks (you know, so my feet would stay warm...) and shirt on. She sprayed on something called a tonic which apparently "calms" my skin (Great, get it all nice and calm before you rip the hair out of it...). After a minute or two it was time to begin the sugaring. She put latex gloves on her hands and pulled a glob of molten, amber colored sugar paste from the pot. It looked like honey but was darker and very clear. It felt warm going on but pulled slightly as she applied it against the direction of the hair. So it was like all of the hairs were getting pulled at the same time (not the best feeling in the world I can tell you...).
"are you ready?"
"yep. pull 'em out"
"ok take a deep breath..."
I breathed in deep and she wicked the paste off my skin with a flick of her wrist. Ouch...
Ouch...
Not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It felt like pulling off a Bandaid. The part that I thought would be the most sensitive was actually the part that hurt the least (and you can just figure out which part that is on your own..). Once the right side was done she moved to the left. For this she got a new ball of sugar out of the pot.
"are you ready?"
"eh...no biggie..whenever" By this time it was a piece of cake.
"ok...deep breath..."
I breathed in deep and she wicked the paste off my skin with a flick of her wrist...
"YEOOOOUUUUCHHHHHHH!!" the room spun, I saw red and my whole body tensed up with pain.
"what the hell?? the other side didn't hurt NEAR that much!"
"Oh, I forgot to mention, most people are more sensitive on one side than the other. For most people it's the left." Now she tells me...
"Did I mention I am the Queen of torture?" she adds. Ha, I wonder if she puts that on her business card. Who knows, she might just get a whole new crop of clientele that way.
The second half of the sugaring was a series of "ouch", "OWWW", "HOLY....", "MOTHER...". Yeah it hurt a lot more and by the time she said "ok flip over" (yep, it was a Brazilian...clean as a baby's behind) my entire body was coursing with adrenaline and I was shaking. Sort of like the afterglow of sex, but without the sex.
When all was said and done, there was nothing left but pink skin. By this time, having spent the last hour in various compromising positions with a complete stranger looking at my hoo-ha, I was completely ok about running around with no underwear (In fact, my friend had to remind me to put pants on to go across the hall to use the restroom). It's funny how that happens.

 
Promote your blog for free.