OrangeZen

Random thoughts...from a random redhead.

Thursday, August 05, 2004

Brushes with celebrity

I haven't had that many in all of my 29 years. I didn't think I was one of those people who get all crazy around famous people...I still don't think I am.

The first time I was in close proximity with a person of national fame was at a concert in Jacksonville, FL. Cake was headlining the show and the guy I was dating knew them somehow...I can't remember how though. We got to go backstage after the show and hang out with the band. I talked to the trumpet player, who was really shy, and I told him about being in high school marching band and he didn't make me feel like the geek I so obviously was which was nice of him. He let me hold his trumpet...no not that trumpet...I didn't get to play it though. The lead singer guy was nice as well. I think I just shook his hand. They gave me a signed poster and wrote "Janelle Rules!" on top of it.
See?


The second time was at a Blink 182 concert at the Milk Bar (which evidently doesn't exist anymore, I can't find a link to it). This was before they were big enough to play big arena shows and there were maybe 100 people in the club. I got to sit on the stage right next to the bass player. He was doing his punk rock bass player thing and his foot was right next to me so I untied his shoe. He kind of looked at me like "why the hell did you just untie my shoe?" and then he smiled and stuck his foot back out (still playing the song the whole time...he was good) so I could tie his shoe. I tied it in a triple knot...shameless flirt that I am. Thinking back on this, that is probably the lamest thing I could have done, but I was only 22, I can blame it on my stupid youth. Plus he winked at me when I tied his shoe. I felt all giddy and stuff.

Then I seemed to have a lull in my celebrity sitings until earlier this year. I have posted many times about Jamie Oliver being my favorite celebrity. I got to attend a live interview/book signing that he had in Seattle in March which was, of course, thrilling for me. I got there really early and managed to land a spot in the very front row, but wouldn't you know that I was dumb and forgot to bring my "real" camera so I was stuck using my camera phone.
This is the only picture that came out...and it sucks! But it's JO! and me!


When I was in Philadelphia this past April, I happened upon a film crew filming in a park downtown. (It was right accross from Kiehl's...they make good lip balm...) Anyway, they had made snow earlier in the day and it was kind of piled here and there. Snow in April! In Philadelphia even! Too surreal...They were making rain with these huge rain machines and it looked really cool and movie-like. Apparently for rain to show up on film they have to make these monsoon-like rain showers with these machines so that's what they were doing.


I even managed to get a cool picture of it...


We hung around trying to find out what was going on. We found out it was a Cameron Diaz film that will be out next year called In Her Shoes. We looked around for Cameron and finally found her hiding off to the side of the "set".
That's her in the brown trenchcoat and the hat.

Ok so that MIGHT not be her...but it could be!

There are still a bunch of celebs that I wouldn't mind meeting in person. I doubt it'll ever happen, but it would be fun to see them in an every day situation, like at the grocery store or taking their kids to the park. I hope to have more brushes with celebrity this September when I get to go see Keane live! (BTW, still looking for someone to go with me...anyone? anyone??)

p.s. are these pictures killing anyone yet? does it make the page load too slow? tell me tell me!

 
Promote your blog for free.