OrangeZen

Random thoughts...from a random redhead.

Tuesday, July 06, 2004

House Sitter

Whew whadda weekend...
I had been comissioned to look after my parent's house while they are away at Lake Tahoe for the week. My nephew is renting the room above their garage and their main concern was that he was going to have a wild party and burn the house down or something like that. I was going about my business on Saturday, doing some last minute cleaning before I headed out there. My mom called twice to find out when I was going out. I kept telling her when I was done with my stuff. I mean, I didn't want to waste my whole Saturday sitting around her house doing nothing. I told her I would be out there tonight...
An hour later she called again...

mom: Oh you're still there...
Me: Yeah, I have stuff to do here too you know...
mom: Well you've got to get out there, D's got tons of people over and he's having a party!
Me: Calm down, I'm sure it's fine. Don't get too paranoid about it. I'll head out there in a bit.
mom: Well hurry up, you have to see what he's up to...and don't forget to empty the cat box.

Gawd woman, make up your mind! Are you more concerned about the cat box or the possibility that your house could be burned to the ground?
About 5 minutes she called again...

mom: Haven't you left yet?
Me: Geeezus mother, I'm never house sitting for you again...
mom: Don't forget to bring in the mail.
Me: You mean the same mail you mentioned in the note that you left for me?
mom: Well I didn't know if you'd read it..
Me: I think I specifically asked you to leave me a note with what you wanted me to do...
mom: Ok, well your father just wanted to be sure..
(yeah, right...sure thing mom..)
Me: Goodbye, mother...

For the love...she was beginning to get on my nerves. So I head out to their house which is way out of town away from everything. I pull into the drive...no loud music...no one jumping off the roof...looks ok to me. I started bringing my stuff in and my nephew comes out to say hello...his friends (all 3 of them...) not far behind.

me: Hey Brat, what are you doin'
D: Not much, just hanging out, you wanna join us?
me: Mom thinks you're having a party...

It should be mentioned that not one of them was over 21 and ALL of them had a beer or a drink in hand.

D: (slurred speech and all) Naww...iz alll gooood... (laughing)
me: yeah...um ok

 
Promote your blog for free.