OrangeZen

Random thoughts...from a random redhead.

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

What was for dinner?

Last night I decided I hadn't cooked anything good in a while and, seeing that I can't eat anything with edges because of my sort throat, I decided to make pasta. I made a sauce to go along with it that had lots of calorie laden butter and cream and some fresh basil but turned out really yummy.
I haven't posted any recipes in a while...so here's the recipe:

Ingredients -
1/2 T , plus 3 T unsalted butter
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 sprigs of fresh basil
1 small wine glass of white wine (i used chardonnay)
3/4 cup heavy cream
enough pasta for 2 servings (i used fettucini)
parmesan cheese
finely chopped basil (optional)

Method -
Bring a lidded pot of salted water to boil while you make the sauce. In a saucepan, heat the 1/2 tablespoon of butter until it's melted and starts to bubble. Add in the basil and garlic and let them fry for a minute, but don't let the butter or garlic turn brown. Gently pour in the glass of wine and let it cook down until it's almost all evaporated. Turn the heat down and pour in the cream and add the rest of the butter. By now the pasta water should be ready and you can put it in to cook. Heat the cream mixture slowly, stirring constantly until the butter is completely melted into the sauce; don't let it boil. When the sauce is up to temperature, take the sauce off the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Fish out the sprigs of basil and toss the pasta in with the sauce. Serve with chopped fresh basil and some finely grated parmesan cheese.



Americans go about Italian food in the wrong way. Italians don't serve up huges plates of pasta and call it dinner, it's usually something that goes along with a meat of some type...from what I have read anyway. Having said that, I suppose you could add chicken or shrimp to this and it would be good too. I like it just plain...very yummy to the tummy.

One thing happened...I had put the wine into the fridge after I used it in the sauce to quickly chill it...and promptly forgot about it. I don't know if this will affect it and make it undrinkable...Wine-cicle anyone?

 
Promote your blog for free.